We often use them in pairs, or with a floor lamp and side table to create a reading corner.
With its scrolled back and lack of arms, it accommodates all shapes and ages with ease, making it a truly egalitarian piece. Vive la liberte!
- A fireplace is a wonderful focal point for any room and it's worth adding one if it's missing
- Small upholstered chairs are useful for extra guests and don't take up too much room
- Don't overlook rugs, they're a great way to 'anchor' a sitting area and add extra texture
- Cushions and throws are a quick and easy way to ring the changes
- Small side tables within easy reach of every seat are essential for drinks and book
- Always avoid making the television the focal point of the room
- Overhead light is seldom needed except in kitchens and bathrooms
- For sitting and dining rooms, ambient eye-level lighting is far more relaxing
- Always ensure there's enough light to read by alongside every chair
- When choosing shades, aim to echo the shape of the base
- Oversized shades always look better than small ones
- Better still, buy lamps that come with shades, they're usually carefully chosen to match